Amulet of Samarkand

Wed Mar 24 12:51:05 EST 2004

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 08:29:40 -0700, Otter Perry wrote:

>On Tuesday, March 23, 2004, at 12:03 PM, Ulrika Isacsson wrote:
>
>> I have to say that the footnotes was a bit irritating at first, a bit
>> too Pratchett.
>> But then I got used to them and by the end I even liked them.
>
>"A bit too Pratchett?"  Goodness gracious me.  I can't imagine that.
>Oh, well.

Is such a think even possible?  :)  (oooh oooh oooh, _Hat Full of Sky_ in
June and _Going Postal_ in October...)

I liked the footnotes a lot.  They went a long way toward solidifying my
impression of Bartimaeus's character early on.  I think he was the only
individual I really liked all the way through.  I was disappointed in the
boy's reactions--I thought he would be Nice for a lot longer--but I'm not
going to call that a flaw in the book, because I think the overarching issue
of how magicians are trained and how their society works is what will be
addressed in future volumes.  So I'm eager to see what happens next.

Jacob liked it even more than I did and went around asking about the second
volume for days after he finished _Amulet_.  It took a while to convince him
that yes, this was a brand spanking new release and that we'd have to wait,
because he was so ready to see what happens next.  Then he got hooked on
Patrick O'Brian and was able to obsess over a series that was actually
available.  He's almost done with _Blue at the Mizzen_, and I think I can
keep him satiated with _Well of Lost Plots_, but after that he's going to be
wandering around looking for books to read.  I imagine this is how Pi Patel
felt, trying to keep that tiger fed.  :)

(It's also a little dangerous to post things like this where he can read
them.  Like poking the aforesaid tiger.)

Melissa Proffitt