Zod Wallop

Ros Gross roslyngross at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 20 09:17:01 EST 2004

I sent this from my other email address but it hasn't appeared, so I'm
re-sending from this one. My apologies if they both turn up!

I wrote:

> >I can't comment on _Little, Big_, but it does sound reminiscent of
Joanathan
> >Carroll, and as a matter of fact, it was recommended by someone on a list
> >for his books. So it's very interesting that you've made the allusion to
> >him. In particular, although the plot's different, it's kind of
reminiscent,
> >from what you say, of Carroll's first novel _The Land of Laughs_, in
which
> >two characters are researching the life of an author, except that it
sounds
> >as if the horror elements work differently in the book (don't want to say
> >more--there's be spoilers galore).

Melissa replied:

>When I was looking for copies online, most of the reviews mentioned it in
>connection to _The Land of Laughs_.  So it must be really really obvious
>everyone.  The difference, as I understand it (not having read the book),
is
>that Carroll's book is more "realistic" in that it's more solidly
connected
>to our world and the descriptive language is less like some kind of opium
>nightmare.  :)

I don't know whether to write :-) or :-(  !

(snip)

>Did I mention that the one other reading group member who's read it yelled
>at me in a humorous way for recommending it, as she'd had nightmares about
>giant floating manta ray creatures sucking out her eyeballs afterward?

Eek! No, you didn't. :-) I'm glad you mentioned it now, though. When I get
around to reading it, I will try to be prepared. :-)

>It's exactly the kind of horror I enjoy.  I don't like being scared; I
don't
>get any enjoyment out of roller coasters or Stephen King.  But I love the
>place where unreality starts seeping into our world and it looks almost
like
>it belongs here.  Believe me, this is a bloody and violent book, but it's
>also about redemption and love and sacrifice, and to me, when a book has
>these contrasting elements, it makes goodness and virtue seem even more
>powerful.

Hmm. This really helps, because I usually dislike most horror and this gives
me an idea of what the book is and what it isn't. I also dislike being
scared. I can often squeamish about blood and violence, but if it's in a
greater cause in a book, I will squirm away and bear it. As you say, those
two contrasting elements can be very potent. I won't know whether the
violence is worth it for me personally until I read the book, though! Which
I will, eventually.

> >I just realised that somewhere I also have a copy of _Little, Big_, also
> >unread. I'm not being accurate; it's not a TBR pile I have, but rather, a
> >TBR double bookcase!
>
>Ever since I started keeping the book database, I gave up on collecting
the
>unread books in one place.  Now I have a filter that shows me which books
>own and haven't read.  Very convenient.  (I also set up a rating category
>for books I won't read, so they don't get displayed when I'm looking for
>something new to read.)

I only have the unread books I've bought over the past few years on those
shelves. The older ones are still all over the place. Your idea is a very
sensible one. I haven't really the patience or temperament to be so
organised, more's the pity.

>And just as a matter of pride, last Friday I passed the 1500 mark; I have
>now catalogued more than 1500 volumes of my library, which is more than I
>have ever managed to do before.  (With the list of books I want and the
list
>of extra copies to give away, the total number of records is almost 1700.)
>Most of those records have synopses, cover images, complete bibliographic
>information, purchase information, and my own ratings, and all the story
>collections have the individual stories entered as well.  So I have been a
>busy little beaver.  I think I'm more than two-thirds done; I have to get
>all the books that are upstairs and all the picture books, but that's all
>that's left.  It's very cool to be able to sort the database and look at
>which books I bought in 1985.  (Not many.)

Congratulations! Sounds marvellous.

Ros