Long Lived Characters

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Thu Mar 18 21:45:20 EST 2004

One further thought: there must be, lost in the mists of time, a
troubaour who composed "new" works on the Knights of the Round Table
or Robin Hood for most of his natural life, and somewhere in
Indonesia is a puppeteer of very ancient days who has been telling
the story of Rama for just as long, making new tales out of the old
on a continuing basis.

Etc.

Nat

>--- Nat Case <ncase at hedbergmaps.com> wrote:
>>  Long lives in other media:
>>

>>  Given the one-author rule, here are a few
>>  very-long-running comic strips, generally with a
>>  continuing cast of more than one character. Only
>>  one beats Jeeves and Wooster though, and that
>>  isn't the creator, so I'm not sure it should
>>  count (If it does, do we count James Bond's
>>  career with creator Ian Fleming or his longer
>>  time with filmmaker James Broccoli?).
>>
>>  Barney Google, by Fred Lasswell 1942-2001 (59
>>  years). Lasswell was not the creator; that was
>>  Billy DeBeck in 1919.
>>
>There is one (at least) longer than this Jim Russell
>wrote "the Potts" from 1939 until his death aged 92 in
>2001 - a record 62 years. Again he was not the
>creator, who was Stan Cross in 1920.
>
>Jon

Nat Case
Hedberg Maps, Inc