fairy tale retellings

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Thu Mar 18 17:43:21 EST 2004

On Thursday, March 18, 2004, at 03:21 PM, Robyn Starkey wrote:

>> About half of McKinley's novels are retellings. And, if you can stand
>> the
>> parade of "social concience", Mercedes Lackey has close to half a
>> dozen of these
>> by now. Her attitude plays rather better in fairly tale retellings
>> than it
>> does in most of her other work. (There's so much other stuff by
>> Lackey that I
>> think I'd better actually name them; The Fire Rose, The Firebird, The
>> Black Swan,
>> The Serpent's Shadow, The Gates of Sleep, there may be another out
>> there as
>> well, but if there is I'm blanking.)
>
> Thanks for the suggestions; actually, I am specifically looking for
> *short stories*, not novels.
>
> Robyn

There's a wonderful collection called "Fairy Tales".  Unfortunately, I
absolutely
cannot remember the author's name and the book is in a box somewhere in
the garage.  His first name is, I think, Peter, and his last name
begins with C.
Maybe more of it will come to me in time.

These stories, and the ones in his second book, are fairy tales retold
for
gay men.  I'm particularly fond of _Beauty and the Beast_.

Also, you could try _Feminist Fairy Tales_.  Quite a different take on
_Little
Red Riding Hood_.

- No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
   However, a number of electrons were terribly
   inconvenienced.