fairy tale retellings

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Thu Mar 18 12:31:55 EST 2004

<< You could try Robin McKinley's Knot in the Grain. >>

??????

That's the collection which has the *least* to do with fairy tale retellings.
Did you mean The Door in the Hedge?

About half of McKinley's novels are retellings. And, if you can stand the
parade of "social concience", Mercedes Lackey has close to half a dozen of these
by now. Her attitude plays rather better in fairly tale retellings than it
does in most of her other work. (There's so much other stuff by Lackey that I
think I'd better actually name them; The Fire Rose, The Firebird, The Black Swan,
The Serpent's Shadow, The Gates of Sleep, there may be another out there as
well, but if there is I'm blanking.)