Re feminisms (back on topic)

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 17 20:54:12 EST 2004

Ika referred to

<Christopher Chant  being in love with Uncle
Ralph and Tacroy>

I got confused and Ika explained

<<g> Nah, I should probably take the blame for
that one myself: I tend to
use the term "in love" pretty broadly, so the
confusion is my fault.
Sorry. If I was being scrupulously queer-theory
about it I'd probably say
"having a passionate attachment to" or "having a
deep affective bond with". ,,,,,snip.....
Probably "crush" is a better word for
Christopher's vast adoration of
Uncle Ralph, but I have a bit of an allergy to
using the word "crush" for
children's emotions - and I'd argue that
Christopher's instant adoration
of Ralph is very similar to Estelle's of
Chrestomanci in Witch Week, which
is described as being "in love" by Estelle and
Nan, although it obviously
isn't exactly the same sort of "in love" as, say,

Sophie and Howl or
Christopher and Milly.>

How about hero worship?

<(And Christopher's attachment to Tacroy becomes
lot more complicated than a crush, though I think

you could say it starts off as one.)>

I think the attachment goes both ways from the
start. They love each other like brothers (both
lacking in other positive familial relationships
at the time). However while Christopher starts
out as the subordinate "little" brother by the
end their roles have reversed.

I said
<irrc, Ika you haven't read the  Dalemark books
yet.>

and Ika enthused:
<Bounce. No, not yet: they're pencilled in for
April/May.>

Looking forward to hearing what you think.

=====
Ven