OT: New Bujold Story

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Mar 17 06:50:09 EST 2004

Liz wrote:
> I read Komarr a few weeks ago, and it was also my first
> Bujold. Having since read Shards of Honor, Barrayar,
> The Warrior's Apprentice and The Vor Game,
> I'd say Komarr was of a lower quality than any of these - I
> wonder whether long-time Bujold fans would agree? For the
> first half of the book, I kept wondering what all the fuss
> was about - to me it just seemed like straightforward space
> opera,

Komarr was also my first Bujold, and I think it's one of the best, so as ever tastes differ :)
I'm surprised at calling it straightforward space opera, though- many of the Miles books are certainly that, but I wouldn't call Komarr one of them- it's a mystery combined with the portrait of a marriage.

> Having said that, I haven't yet read Memory (which comes before Komarr
> better place to start.

I don't think it is, really. Komarr was sort of the start of a new story arc and stands well alone, while Memory works much better if you know the backstory. (Although it isn't essential.)

> Hope this helps! And, as a new convert, I hope you enjoy Bujold!

Ditto.
Jennifer