Long Lived Characters

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 16 20:21:05 EST 2004

I found this interesting thread on The Straight
Dope:

<<Who is the longest "lived" fictional character

I've just gotten back into P.G. Wodehouse's
Jeeves and Wooster stories, and I noticed with
some surprise that the first Jeeves story
appeared in 1916 and the last was written (or at
least begun) in 1974, for a "lifespan" of 58
years.

I think this is a record.

Does anyone know of another fictional character
who was written about by the original author over
a longer period? I think we can rule out most, if
not all, of the juvenile series like Tom Swift,
Nancy Drew, etc., since I believe they were
written by many different people.>>

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=245340>

I make Chrestomanci 23 -- Charmed Life pub 1977,
Mixed Magics 2000 -- soon to be 28 or so on
publication of the next book.

Here's a copy of the list in progress from the
SD:

58 years: Jeeves and Wooster (Wodehouse)
55 years: Hercule Poirot (Christie)
55 years: The Saint (Charteris)
53 years: Eliots (Bradbury)
46 years: Woodrow Wilson Smith (Heinlein)
43 years: Nero Wolfe (Stout)
41 years: Hari Seldon (Asimov)
40 years: Sherlock Holmes (Conan Doyle)
40 years: Gandalf (Tolkein)