feminisms

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Mon Mar 15 18:32:07 EST 2004

In a message dated 3/15/2004 1:02:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net writes:

> >I wonder if anyone considers me clearly not a feminist. It's entirely
> >possible, I suppose. It would be quite amusing if they did, really.
>
> I have ALWAYS thought of you as a feminist.  Well.  As far as I think in
> those terms, anyway.  :)  For all that I don't use the word to describe
> myself, it sure ticks me off if somebody thinks I'm *not* a feminist.
>
> Melissa Proffitt

This made me laugh extremely! In return, I was trying to find that quotation
from Rebecca West ("I have never been able to find out precisely what feminism
is; I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments
that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute"), and when I Googled for
["rebecca west" feminist doormat], I found myself being offered a number of
commercial links (you know, not the actual search results, but the things down
the right side of the results screen) headlined "Doormats With Style,"
"Looking for a Doormat?" "Doormat Prices," "Heavy Duty Doormats," etc.

Helen Schinske