OT: New Bujold Story

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 15 14:08:28 EST 2004

>I read Komarr a few weeks ago, and it was also my first Bujold. Having since
>read Shards of Honor, Barrayar, The Warrior's Apprentice and The Vor Game,
>I'd say Komarr was of a lower quality than any of these - I wonder whether
>long-time Bujold fans would agree?

I think it has a slower pace than the others, but "lower quality" is a bit
harsh. It's a different book because it is written from Ekaterin's pov. In
some ways it is an interesting place to start, because she doesn't know
Miles either. I think you get a very different impression if you have read
other Miles books first.

>Having said that, I haven't yet read Memory (which comes before Komarr
>start. My favourite so far is The Warrior's Apprentice, and you could
>feasibly start there, as it's the first book featuring Miles as the ?hero.
>You'd miss out on an awful lot of background information, though.

Memory is not a good one to start with, I don't think, because it relies
quite heavily on knowing the characters. Warrior's Apprentice is the first
Miles book, so it might make actual sense to start with it.

Robyn