OT: New Bujold Story

Liz Ottosson elizabethottosson at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Mar 15 06:02:08 EST 2004

Emerging from a very long lurkdom:

> I have Memory and Komarr (my first Bujold) on my shelf waiting to
> be read...
> do they stand alone? Which one should I read first? Are they good compared
> to the others?
> Aimee

I read Komarr a few weeks ago, and it was also my first Bujold. Having since
read Shards of Honor, Barrayar, The Warrior's Apprentice and The Vor Game,
I'd say Komarr was of a lower quality than any of these - I wonder whether
long-time Bujold fans would agree? For the first half of the book, I kept
wondering what all the fuss was about - to me it just seemed like
straightforward space opera, which isn't a genre I'd normally go for, and
the stylistic niggles that other DWJers mentioned a couple of weeks ago
irritated me, too. By the end, though, I was certainly sucked in far enough
to order Cordelia's Honor, and by the time I was half way through Shards of
Honor I was convinced that Komarr had been a really bad place to start - not
just because of chronology but also because of the difference in the quality
of the writing and characterisation.

I'm gradually trying to get hold of the others, and will be rereading Komarr
in its chronological place, so perhaps I'll revise my opinion of it, but
that's what I think at the moment.

Having said that, I haven't yet read Memory (which comes before Komarr
start. My favourite so far is The Warrior's Apprentice, and you could
feasibly start there, as it's the first book featuring Miles as the ?hero.
You'd miss out on an awful lot of background information, though.

Hope this helps! And, as a new convert, I hope you enjoy Bujold!

Liz