feminisms (back on topic)

Ika blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Sat Mar 13 05:39:57 EST 2004

JOdel wrote:

> [As for homosexuals, I always thought that Torquil was a pretty flaming
> example of the typical stereotype

Sigh. Lovely Torquil. I always thought Shine was a huge dyke, actually
(and wondered about possible rivalry between her & Erskine when Awful
grows up, though last time I reread Archer's Goon I couldn't work out
quite where I'd got the idea of a potential Shine-Awful attraction from.
Possibly just my own crush on Awful showing through).

And Miss Potter's* adoration of Dillian is a nice balance/contrast to
Fifi's of Archer - though I guess their relationship, such as it is, isn't
quite as openly acknowledged as Fifi & Archer's: ie, Miss Potter doesn't
make it onto the spaceship. There are plot reasons for that, though - I
think *another* character or another romance would have overbalanced the
already-complicated ending (Archer's Goon has *millions* of characters,
doesn't it?), and Dillian and Miss P are less central than Fifi and
Archer.

*Eep! I'm blanking on her name and *both* my copies of AG have
unaccountably gone missing! Why? Why??

Ahem. Deborah wrote (incidentally, deborah, is it capital-D or little-d
deborah? Am I being incorrect in capitalizing it?)

> In fact, a friend wrote a brilliant master's thesis on how queer theory
> can add to readings of children's literature, including the Dicey books,
> and the Alanna books.

Coool. Is this available anywhere (I have access to university libraries,
inter-library loans, etc)? I've been pontificating queer readings of
Cynthia Voigt with my gf ever since I lent her "Tell Me If The Lovers Are
Losers" and she pointed out that it's pretty much a romance between Niki
and Hildy, but Dicey's always been a bit of an anomaly in the theories
we've worked out. I'd love to see this thesis.

> (To make this more clear: "queer theory" is more
> than just equivalent to "gay, lesbian, and bisexual theory", but
> confronts the range of possible expressions of sexuality, and "queer",
> for many people, doesn't just mean "gay, lesbian, and bisexual", but
> "non-conventional sexualities".)

<g> I just applied for a job in a university which is too cutting-edge
even to say "queer theory" and calls it "sexual dissidence" instead -  but
that gets at the same sort of thing.

On this track, though - I lent a non-monogamous friend (she lives with the
man she considers to be her True Person, but has been in a secondary
relationship for several years, and there's other people I haven't met)
Charmed Life recently, and she instantly pegged Michael as Milly's
secondary boyfriend. It spun my head a bit at first ("Noooo! Milly and
Chrestomanci love each other *very much*!") but now I actually kind of
like the idea.

Love, Ika

--
"I had no choice but to recognise that the world was suddenly making
itself available for improvement, and it was all Morrissey's fault"