OT feminisms

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Fri Mar 12 20:55:27 EST 2004

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Ika wrote:
|Similarly with not having to be a homosexual - or to write about
|characters who are homosexual - to write books that are sympatico to queer
|theory.

In fact, a friend wrote a brilliant master's thesis on how queer theory
can add to readings of children's literature, including the Dicey books,
and the Alanna books.  (To make this more clear: "queer theory" is more
than just equivalent to "gay, lesbian, and bisexual theory", but
confronts the range of possible expressions of sexuality, and "queer",
for many people, doesn't just mean "gay, lesbian, and bisexual", but
"non-conventional sexualities".)  My friend made this more broad.  She
wasn't talking about sexuality but gender, and carried from queer
theory's notion of a multiplicity of sexualities to a notion of multiple
gender expressions.  Good reading.

|Similarly with queer theory: one of the things I value in DWJ is the way
|that she *doesn't* subordinate the affective bonds and loving
|relationships in her books to a well-defined and well-policed distinction
|between 'homosexual' and 'heterosexual', always referring desire and love
|to some fixed identity which would be expressed in a consistent choice of
|sexual objects according to their gender. Christopher Chant/Chrestomanci,
|for instance, is depicted neither as a specimen of the type
|'heterosexual', despite marrying Milly, nor as a specimen of the type
|'homosexual', despite being in love with Uncle Ralph and Tacroy. And one
|of the things queer theory does is pay attention to characters and desires
|that exceed, resist or subvert those classifications.

Ayup.  V. cool.

-deborah
--
"You do not have to do everything disagreeable that you have a
right to do." 		-- Judith Martin (Miss Manners)