OT feminisms

Fri Mar 12 19:20:23 EST 2004

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:43:23 EST, HSchinske at aol.com wrote:

>From my point of view, as an old-fashioned dinosaur sort of feminist (think
>Dorothy Sayers on _Are Women Human_?) who thinks it means things like women
>being free to vote and go to college and all that if they like, how would [DWJ]
>*not* be? (After all, she Wears Trousers!!! ;-) ) It simply had never occurred to
>me to think of her as not being a feminist in this particular sense. And it
>does seem to me that there are an awful lot of people about who still use the
>word this way, and that DWJ might conceivably do so herself, though you know
>her and I don't, of course.

I consider myself this sort of feminist, but sometimes it seems like nobody
remembers that such a beast exists.  Of course, I also think that almost
every woman living today is this kind of feminist, simply because of how
society has changed, and so the word evolved to be more discriminatory, more
specific and narrow in definition.

>I wonder if anyone considers me clearly not a feminist. It's entirely
>possible, I suppose. It would be quite amusing if they did, really.

I have ALWAYS thought of you as a feminist.  Well.  As far as I think in
those terms, anyway.  :)  For all that I don't use the word to describe
myself, it sure ticks me off if somebody thinks I'm *not* a feminist.

Melissa Proffitt