feminisms

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Fri Mar 12 18:34:21 EST 2004

<< I'd been wondering what feminism and homosexuality had to do with DWJ,
slightly.  She clearly is neither a feminist nor a homosexual herself, >>

Um. Er.

Well, there is certainly a strong pervading acceptance of the persistence of
gender roles in society running throughout her work. But it pretty often reads
like an acceptance under some degree of protest. And a book like Aunt Maria
is a novel-length indictment of the abuses that they can be turned to.

[As for homosexuals, I always thought that Torquil was a pretty flaming
example of the typical stereotype and one scacely needed to actually hear the term
that Howard applied to him -- which Catriona stronly objected to him using in
Awful's hearing.]