DWJ and feminisms (was Re: OT feminisms)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Mar 12 07:33:07 EST 2004

Robyn wrote:

>Okay, I have been saying absolutely nothing on this thread because I was
>trying not to flame anyone. But I couldn't resist this comment by Minnow:
>
>>I'd been wondering what feminism and homosexuality had to do with DWJ,
>>slightly.  She clearly is neither a feminist nor a homosexual herself,
>
>Now, I might give you the homosexual bit, but why would you say DWJ is not
>a feminist?

I said "herself", nothing about the possibility of a feminist reading of
her work. (I've seen feminist readings of John Donne's work, after all...)
I think that various comments in this thread suggest that one really ought
not to pin the label "feminist" onto anyone except oneself; it ought to be
a voluntary matter.

To the best of my knowledge (somebody with web access could go and hunt
through all the interviews?) she hasn't pinned it on, so I shan't.  That's
all.

Image of self approaching DWJ with great trepidation bearing in hand a
safety-pin and a label with the word "feminist" emblazoned on it.  More
than my life is worth, I suspect.  :-)

Minnow