OT feminisms

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 11 19:57:19 EST 2004

Okay, I have been saying absolutely nothing on this thread because I was
trying not to flame anyone. But I couldn't resist this comment by Minnow:

>I'd been wondering what feminism and homosexuality had to do with DWJ,
>slightly.  She clearly is neither a feminist nor a homosexual herself,

Now, I might give you the homosexual bit, but why would you say DWJ is not
a feminist? She writes fiction which has strong female characters, she
shows ample understanding of the annoyance that gender discrimination
causes her female characters, and she often has these characters engaging
with and triumphing over gender stereotypes. She's one of the most feminist
YA authors I know who writes fantasy and not preachy realism.

Robyn