OT feminisms

Thu Mar 11 13:57:09 EST 2004

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:04:48 +0000, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

>I'd been wondering what feminism and homosexuality had to do with DWJ,
>slightly.  She clearly is neither a feminist nor a homosexual herself, and
>she doesn't seem to depict people who are either of these things as their
>*primary* characteristic. can anyone think of examples?

Well, the gay boys who run the wine shop in _Hexwood_...actually identified
in those words, and described later in what I would call a stereotypical
manner, clinging to each other and crying, or something of that sort.

She brings up the issue peripherally in _A Sudden Wild Magic_, when it comes
to selecting people to go on the mission to Arth, but that's more a
practical matter (assuming that *some* of the enemy might be seduced by men
instead of women).

In both cases, we're talking about minor characters, people who are almost
part of the background, which may mean that she is using these kinds of
description to set a tone rather than to comment on character.

Melissa Proffitt