OT feminisms (was Meredith Ann Pierce)

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Wed Mar 10 19:33:39 EST 2004

On Wednesday, March 10, 2004, at 12:35 AM, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

>  I'm sure people used to say words like "queer" much more
> frequently in a casual context before the word collected political
> resonance. This is not to say that the word becomes a *bad* word,
> necessarily, but it does become a more powerful word that must be used
> with
> caution.

I think 'queer' was originally pejorative all the time.  It started
life as
a bad word.

The queers reclaimed it by using it about themselves.  Even now,
it isn't a PC usage unless one _is_ queer.  Like me.  <grin>

'Feminist' has had a different past.  It has not always been a bad
word, at least for a sizable proportion of its users.

I call myself a 'feminist', but it doesn't mean that I like the
attitudes
of all the rest of the feminists in the world, or necessarily that I'm
interested in any particular feminist take on the world or on
religion or on literature.

The real tests for equality of the sexes in Western society are these:

1.  Is work traditionally associated with women paid as well as
work traditionally associated with men?  That is to say, what are
the nurse's aides and child care workers getting?  Is it what
steelworkers are getting?  No.  I thought not.

2.  Is the working world organized to accommodate the different
life cycles of men and women?  Does everybody who wants to get
ahead in business have to go right to university and into the cor-
porate world?  Or can women have children when they're young
and then go on to their business careers, unimpeded by the
different approach?  No.  I thought not.

[Thanks to _The Lenses of Gender_ by Sandra Lifshitz [sp?] Bem.
  The adaptation is mine.  I'm not saying that this is what she says.]