OT feminisms (was Meredith Ann Pierce)

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Wed Mar 10 04:15:50 EST 2004

>I take the unfashionable view that language is for communication rather
>than self-expression. When I choose to use a word, part of that choice
>must be based on the intended audience and my understanding of the
>associations they are likely to make with that word; it can't be purely
>on the formal definition and the associations _I_ make with it.

I agree with you, but Humpty Dumpty doesn't:

"'When *I* use a word.' Humpty Dumpt said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it
means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nore less.'
'the question is,' said Alice, 'whether you *can* make words mean so many
different things.'
'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master - that's all.'
"