OT feminisms (was Meredith Ann Pierce)

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Wed Mar 10 03:41:13 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 09:35:17AM +0200, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:
>Once the word has been wielded
>for a Cause, it gains a lot of power, but it loses its transparency or
>innocence.

I take the unfashionable view that language is for communication rather
than self-expression. When I choose to use a word, part of that choice
must be based on the intended audience and my understanding of the
associations they are likely to make with that word; it can't be purely
on the formal definition and the associations _I_ make with it.

Roger