Fw: CFP: Harry Potter Fan Fiction (6/15/04; collection)

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Tue Mar 9 10:08:06 EST 2004

I've got to admit that the following call for papers is just the kind of
thing to make me pour a glass of port, bristle my moustache and take out a
subscription to the Daily Telegraph, but - well, I guess there may be
someone out there who wants to contribute to this pressing issue of our
time....

Charlie

> EDITED VOLUME: HARRY POTTER FAN FICTION
>
> Contributions are sought for a proposed collection of essays about
> Harry Potter fan fiction.
>
> Scholars from all disciplines are invited to submit abstracts or
> completed essays.  Essays on young writers, the transnational fandom,
> and fan works from outside the English-speaking world are especially
> needed, but all submissions are very welcome.
>
> Paper topics might include, but are by no means limited to:

 Issues related to the source material

 Studies focused on writing by young people

 Studies of particular subgenres and their traditions, such as
> bodies of fan work focused on particular characters or relationships,
> or around generic constraints such as challenges, "filks" (song
> parodies) or "drabbles" (100 word fics)

 Studies of the various communities (mostly on-line) in which
> participants exchange works and ideas, and of specific issues within
> those communities, such as status, collaboration, or conflict

 Quantitative and demographic studies

 Fan art in visual media (for instance comics, illustrations, or
> doujinshi)

 Intellectual property and/in the Harry Potter fan fiction community

 Studies of fan productions from outside the English-speaking world