DWJ reviews Eragon

Mon Mar 8 10:42:08 EST 2004

Charlie wrote:

DWJ reviewed Christopher Paolini's *Eragon* in today's *Guardian*. I don't
think we've mentioned it on this list - has anyone read it?

The link is at:
http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,12084,1162220,00.html

Charlie

I read Eragon awhile ago.  My feeling about it is uncannily similar to DWJ's
- it's incredibly derivative (of Tolkien and high fantasy), especially the
bits about the dwarves - but it also has a nice original touch in the dragon
bits.  I'm just sorry it's getting such press and that I have to buy so many
copies (best seller list etc.) because it's a decent fantasy but not a great
one IMHO.

Alison