OT feminisms (was Meredith Ann Pierce)

Mon Mar 8 10:40:01 EST 2004

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

|Like the word "queer," I
|think at heart "feminist" has something in it that links all the different
|ideas of what it means.

and Deborah (deborah?) added:
Oh, exactly.  Both words contain ideas which I find repugnant, and
others which I find essential.  And I find them both to be very powerful
terms, because they are so very loaded and full.  I *can't* contemplate
any of their meanings well unless I accept into my discourse all the
myriad possibilities, both positive and negative.
<snip>

This has pushed one of my hot buttons, so forgive me if I sound
over-emotional.  One (earlier) poster feels that feminism destroyed choices
(made doing traditionally feminine things evil.)  However, consider the
choices that feminism added to women's lives - women lawyers, women doctors,
women bankers, women stockbrokers, women engineers.  I think our lives (as
people, not just as women) would be much poorer without the changes that
feminism brought to society.  And I think that any women employed in a
"traditionally male" occupation should think twice before dissing feminism
(like the women I see, gainfully employed as lawyers, bankers, financial
planners, etc. who say "I'm not a feminist."  Why not?)

Alison