OT - Meredith Ann Pierce

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Mar 5 05:53:01 EST 2004

Hallie wrote:
> Catherine Fisher seems to be doing quite a similar thing with the series
> starting with _The Relic Master_ ... one of the things I liked about TRM
> was the mix in her world of magic (which does really work - no messing
> around with scientific explanations that are obvious to the reader but
> not to the characters) and a science fiction-y underpinning to the whole
> thing.

I recently read Katherine Kerr's "Snare", which seems to have a s.f.nal feeling all the way through, even at the beginning, which could be the beginning of a fantasy. (Clues gradually revealed all the way through that it was indeed sf.) That worked better, for me, than starting fantastical and doing a "surprise! It's technology!" at the end. (I don't mind books that are sci fantasy, or ambiguous, but if the author wants to pull a fast one she should have a good reason for it.)
Jennifer