OT feminisms (was Meredith Ann Pierce)

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Thu Mar 4 21:19:42 EST 2004

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

|Like the word "queer," I
|think at heart "feminist" has something in it that links all the different
|ideas of what it means.

Oh, exactly.  Both words contain ideas which I find repugnant, and
others which I find essential.  And I find them both to be very powerful
terms, because they are so very loaded and full.  I *can't* contemplate
any of their meanings well unless I accept into my discourse all the
myriad possibilities, both positive and negative.  Which gives more
richness to the meaning, in my opinion.  Rather ala Charles' failed
request for "shoes!" in Which Week, ObDWJ.  A successful communicator
has to be aware of all possible interpretations, and those
interpretations enrich whichever meaning is finally settled on.

-deborah
--
Before everything else I'm a human being.
					- Nora, _A Dolls' House_