OT - Meredith Ann Pierce - now with spoilers

Thu Mar 4 11:08:26 EST 2004

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:04:46 +0000, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>Melissa:
>
>>  Anyway, it's enough to know that it's just plain awful.  Right?
>
>Definitely.  But for the fun of it...

>*

>*

>*

>*

>*

>*

>*
>
>*

>*

>*

>*

>*

>I think the reason no thought of feminism came to my mind is that I
>associate feminism with choice.  (And I'd also call myself a
>feminist, though never an Evil one, of course. :) )

That's part of what I mean by *Evil* Feminism--the variety described by
Irina, where you're allowed to have choice as long as you make the "right"
choice.

>Not only does
>Ravenna give Aeriel no choice about the decision - through what seems
>a huge number of supposed-to-be gut-wrenching pages - at the end of
>all this agonising, she removes *any* element of choice entirely by
>telling Aeriel she's actually DEAD anyway.  Yeesh.  The forced
>renunciation of what an individual values most (whether that's a
>relationship, a career, or simply the autonomy to choose what it is
>he or she does value most) leaves me very cold.

It also seemed (and thanks for the details; I'm remembering more of the book
now) to be a cop-out, as though Pierce couldn't come up with a natural way
for the book to end the way she wanted, so she had to force an ending.

>Irrylath does become human, though an extremely messed up one,

Yes--this is what I mean.  I was thinking "human" in the sense of being
emotionally healthy, not just overcoming the vampyre thing.  As you say, his
being so messed up is just another way of forcing the ending.  I was
surprised, after the ending of _A Gathering of Gargoyles_, that Irrylath was
suddenly so different in _Pearl_.  I expected him to be scarred emotionally,
yes, but not to that extent.

>Makes me quite grumpy, as you can possibly see.

Me too.  It's so much worse when a trilogy with great potential goes
horribly wrong.

Melissa Proffitt
(still procrastinating at 9:08 a.m.)