OT - Meredith Ann Pierce - no spoilers any more

Thu Mar 4 10:45:20 EST 2004

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 11:14:40 +0100, Irina Rempt wrote:

>On Thursday 04 March 2004 11:04, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:
>

>> I think the reason no thought of feminism came to my mind is that I
>> associate feminism with choice.  (And I'd also call myself a
>> feminist, though never an Evil one, of course. :)
>
>Thank you, thank you! You've just given me words to explain why I don't
>call myself a feminist. I associate feminism with people making my
>choices for me. If you want to stay home and look after kids instead of
>going out to a job, you're unliberated; if you want to wear a headscarf
>in church you're oppressed; if you want to marry a man you're cheating
>your sisters. That's the brand of feminism I was brought up on, and I
>don't want any of it.

I tend to swing back and forth on whether I actually refer to myself as a
feminist or not.  What you describe isn't "really" what feminism means, deep
down, but enough people think so (and say so) to make the distinction
irrelevant.  I get tired of having to explain that I'm not *that* kind of
feminist, so I don't often call myself one (particularly not in Salt Lake
City, where the word is more than usually connotative of certain principles)
but based on what I understand feminism to be--making your *own* choices,
including the socially unpopular ones--I consider myself one.

In the academic circles I occasionally run in, I get some very strange looks
from some of the women when they learn what it is I do for a living.  I
think they expect me to be barefoot and illiterate or something.  :)  I
think of it as striking a blow for stay-at-home mothers everywhere, many of
whom do not have college degrees, but who do not deserve to be looked down
on as unfortunate mindless victims of the patriarchy.  (Though I do get
frustrated that so many of the other moms I associate with *don't* have much
higher education, but that's because most of them give me the fish-eye out
of sheer terror when I do something eddicated in front of them.)

Melissa Proffitt