OT - Meredith Ann Pierce

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu Mar 4 05:10:16 EST 2004

Amy:

>The sci fi explanations at the end were forced and spoiled the gothic mood
>of the story's beginnings.  The trilogy would have been better as a straight
>on supernatural fantasy.

  It's funny, because it didn't really even occur to me that Catherine
Fisher seems to be doing quite a similar thing with the series
starting with _The Relic Master_ (Books of the Crow, maybe?) until
you and Melissa wrote about Pierce's trilogy.  Quite a different
effect, mind you, but one of the things I liked about TRM was the mix
in her world of magic (which does really work - no messing around
with scientific explanations that are obvious to the reader but not
to the characters) and a science fiction-y underpinning to the whole
thing.  I've just got the second one of the series myself, so don't
know if she'll sustain it better than Pierce did, but I'm hopeful!

Hallie.