OT - Meredith Ann Pierce - now with spoilers

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu Mar 4 05:04:46 EST 2004

Melissa:

>  >Hmm.  Not too sure where the Feminism comes in - Aeriel is a bit dim
>>throughout, Irrylath turns into a complete disaster, but Sabr is just
>>downright scary.  Sisterhood maybe?  As the only one who *truly*
>>loves Aeriel (sorry, 'the pale girl') is Erin (make that 'the dark
>>girl')?  Ack.  Not sure it's good for the brain even trying to figure
>>it out.
>
>The Evil Feminist part is how it's better for Aeriel to take on this grand
>and lonely destiny than to settle for the love story that's been building
>throughout.  Assume for a moment that Irrylath actually became a human being
>again (as was suggested in the first two books) instead of changing
>*completely* in the third book...I wish I could remember more of the details
>and not just the gist of my reaction, because it seemed really obvious when
>I read it while in the middle of feminist/literary studies at the
>university.  Anyway, it's enough to know that it's just plain awful.  Right?

Definitely.  But for the fun of it...

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

I think the reason no thought of feminism came to my mind is that I
associate feminism with choice.  (And I'd also call myself a
feminist, though never an Evil one, of course. :) )  Not only does
Ravenna give Aeriel no choice about the decision - through what seems
a huge number of supposed-to-be gut-wrenching pages - at the end of
all this agonising, she removes *any* element of choice entirely by
telling Aeriel she's actually DEAD anyway.  Yeesh.  The forced
renunciation of what an individual values most (whether that's a
relationship, a career, or simply the autonomy to choose what it is
he or she does value most) leaves me very cold.

Irrylath does become human, though an extremely messed up one, which
is another reason Aeriel can't be with him, but instead is supposed
to try to 'give' him to Sabr.  Yeesh again.  Makes me quite grumpy,
as you can possibly see.

Hallie.