OT - Meredith Ann Pierce

Tue Mar 2 13:06:51 EST 2004

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 17:21:39 +0000, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>>Melissa:
>>This was my reaction: The first two books hint at the scientific origin of
>>the world--the terraformed moon, the genetically engineered people--but all
>>from the point of view of those living in it, who only have legends to go
>>on.  Very cool.  Then in the third book, Pierce starts making it all
>>explicitly about the science, we lose the exclusivity of Aeriel's point of
>>view, and the love story falls apart in a bad way.  It was like Evil
>>Feminism run amok (and since I consider myself a feminist, this was a strong
>>criticism for me to make).
>
>Hmm.  Not too sure where the Feminism comes in - Aeriel is a bit dim
>throughout, Irrylath turns into a complete disaster, but Sabr is just
>downright scary.  Sisterhood maybe?  As the only one who *truly*
>loves Aeriel (sorry, 'the pale girl') is Erin (make that 'the dark
>girl')?  Ack.  Not sure it's good for the brain even trying to figure
>it out.

The Evil Feminist part is how it's better for Aeriel to take on this grand
and lonely destiny than to settle for the love story that's been building
throughout.  Assume for a moment that Irrylath actually became a human being
again (as was suggested in the first two books) instead of changing
*completely* in the third book...I wish I could remember more of the details
and not just the gist of my reaction, because it seemed really obvious when
I read it while in the middle of feminist/literary studies at the
university.  Anyway, it's enough to know that it's just plain awful.  Right?

Melissa Proffitt