Little Big (was: RE: Zod Wallop)

Mon Mar 1 11:48:40 EST 2004

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Charles Butler wrote:
>|I've been intrigued by this book, without quite getting my act together to
>|read it, ever since I read about it in Brian Attebery's *Strategies of
>|Fantasy* - a critical book I like a lot (as I may have mentioned before). My
>|to-be-read shelf is already groaning, and Crowley's book does look a little,
>|er, big - but if anyone here gives it an unequivocal thumbs-up it may
>|leapfrog quite a few other items..

It depends on the kind of reader you are, I think.  The book is a fantastic
example of its kind, but it's not for everyone.  I didn't think it was
particularly slow going, but I was one of the few in the reading group who
actually finished it.  I loved the intersection of Faerie with the modern
world--which is itself a creation of Crowley's, not really our own--and the
premise was amazing, but I don't feel the need to read it again.

My equivocal response is that if you liked what Attebery said in terms of
criticism, you'll probably love the actual book.  I don't think I'd
recommend it if you just wanted a good story; half the fun of _Little, Big_
is the philosophical underpinnings.

Melissa Proffitt