OT - Meredith Ann Pierce

Mon Mar 1 11:43:41 EST 2004

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 13:57:07 +0000, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>I just finished the Darkangel trilogy, and am going slightly demented
>trying to remember if there was a discussion on the list a few years
>ago.  What's coming up is the faint glimmer that someone (Elise?)
>said the third book was a big disappointment and others agreed.  It's
>quite possible that I could just have fabricated all this because
>it's my feeling though!  Anyone read the books and want to comment?

The third book is an abomination.  (How's that for a comment? :)

This was my reaction: The first two books hint at the scientific origin of
the world--the terraformed moon, the genetically engineered people--but all
from the point of view of those living in it, who only have legends to go
on.  Very cool.  Then in the third book, Pierce starts making it all
explicitly about the science, we lose the exclusivity of Aeriel's point of
view, and the love story falls apart in a bad way.  It was like Evil
Feminism run amok (and since I consider myself a feminist, this was a strong
criticism for me to make).  I don't know what Pierce was thinking, but even
if she'd hinted at the ending from the beginning, I would have been happier.
As it was, it felt as though she'd suddenly changed her mind about what it
all meant.  Louise Cooper did something similarly obnoxious with her Indigo
series.  I hate that.

I don't even own _Pearl of the Soul of the World_.  I prefer to make up my
own ending.

Melissa Proffitt