Meaningless names

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Tue Jun 29 07:22:31 EDT 2004

Emma  wrote:
> it basically talks about how American baby names were studied across
>the 20th century, and it was found that girls name changed a lot more.

I'd venture a guess that this has to do with people being more conservative
in general about the upbringing of boy babies vs. girl babies. I know this
has been proved regarding gender roles: parents don't mind as much if girls
do traditional boy things than the other way round. Parents are more likely
to dress girls in "boys' clothes", let girls play with "boy toys" etc. than
the other way round.

ObDWJ: girls are also more likely to read "boys' books" than boys are to
read "girls' books". I'd be willing to wager that DWJ books in which the
protagonist was male (like "Charmed Life") or in which there was more than
one protagonist (like "Witch Week") are more widely read than books in which
the protagonist is female (like "Time of the Ghost"), marking them "girls'
books".