"Imagine -- Unsuitable for Children"

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Mon Jun 28 08:39:37 EDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 01:26:12PM +0100, Charles Butler wrote:
>Looking at the longer write-up in the Observer TV guide (which also sound
>less sensationalist)  I'd guess this is indeed it, though no contributors
>are named. I'm setting my VCR, anyway!

There's a longer description on the BBC web site at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcone/listings/programme.shtml?day=wednesday&service_id=4223&filename=20040630/20040630_2235_4223_59630_50
, which I reproduce below. It doesn't mention DWJ at all; she probably
spoke sense and wouldn't be baited.

Wed 30 Jun, 10:35 pm - 11:25 pm  50mins

Unsuitable for Children?

Alan Yentob looks at modern children's fiction and asks: just what are
we exposing our children to? Sex, drug-taking, racial murder, the death
of God: Are children's books the marker of a degraded culture, or are
they instruction manuals for life? And why is the first rule of fantasy
writing, 'kill the parents'?

With contributions from writers Philip Pullman (His Dark Materials),
Malorie Blackman (Noughts and Crosses, Pig-Heart Boy), GP Taylor
(Shadowmancer), Mark Haddon (The Curious Incident of the Dog in the
Night-time), Salman Rushdie (Haroun and the Sea of Stories, the Satanic
Verses), Marina Warner (From the Beast to the Blonde: On Fairy Tales and
Their Tellers), Christopher Paolini (Eragon); and child psychologist
Adam Phillips.