Spam to the list

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Mon Jun 21 14:25:35 EDT 2004

Marie said...

> I don't get the techie stuff, alas, Roger, being a complete numpty in that
> area. I just thought Deborah should know that it looked as though her
e-address
>  was being used by someone else. I hope I haven't accidentally offended
her
> by  offering suggestions.

It's common for spammers to fake the "from" address on e-mails, so that you
*think* you're getting a legitimate e-mail from a friend whereas in fact
it's spam and coming from somewhere else altogether.  This is particularly
sneaky in conjunction with anti-spam programs that bounce offending
messages - the poor unfortunate whose address has been hijacked gets extra
spam bounced to them from other people who don't know the message didn't
originate where it claims to!

I've noticed over the last couple of weeks that deb's address has been so
hijacked, but I have Mailwasher so I just delete such spams before they
arrive on my machine. (I love Mailwasher!)  I'm not sure that there's
actually anything a person can do to prevent their address being so used,
unfortunately.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
www.livejournal.com/users/dorianegray

"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."
-Wm. Shakespeare, "Macbeth".