C.S. Lewis on royalty

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Fri Jun 18 13:58:32 EDT 2004

In a message dated 6/18/04 12:21:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net writes:

> In my meanderings in search of the reference, I came across a site which
> dissed Hooper badly (pardon the Americanism) saying he didn't have the close
> relationship with Lewis he claimed and that his books were therefore not to
> be trusted. I didn't read further but it sparked my interest. Is there a
> scandal or is this just bitchery?
>
> Judith

I don't think I saw the beginning of this thread -- perhaps I missed getting
the last digest? I'm responding to #848, so perhaps someone could send me
#847?

In any case, yes, Walter Hooper is certainly guilty of some exaggeration of
his consequence in Lewis's life, as far as I can make out. Whether he's guilty
of forgery (which he's also been accused of -- lots of people think _The Dark
Tower_ is not really by Lewis, and possibly some of the other posthumously
published stories, I forget the details) is another matter, and I don't think it
is proven at all one way or t'other.

I wouldn't trust A.N. Wilson either, though. As I recall he made several very
obvious misinterpretations of Lewis's work in his biography, and I think made
some blunders on facts as well. I think he made a few good points about other
people's hagiography on Lewis (I particularly remember the bit about the
stained-glass window in which Lewis is given blue eyes), but I don't think his own
work is much of a substitute.

Of all the Lewis biographies I have read, the one that impressed me as being
the best at the time (I haven't re-read it in a while) is the one by George
Sayer.

Helen Schinske