C.S. Lewis on royalty

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Fri Jun 18 12:23:41 EDT 2004

For anyone who's even mildly interested, I'm happy to report that  using
Judith's and Sally's clues I tracked down Lewis's remarks to a copy of the
Spectator (27th August 1943) - luckily Bristol University has a good run of
back-issues! The lines were just as reported, and come shortly after an even
more intriguing passage:

"This is the tragi-comedy of the modern woman; taught by Freud to consider
the act of love the most important thing in life, and then inhibited by
feminism from that internal surrender which alone can make it a complete
emotional success. Merely for the sake of her own erotic pleasure, to go no
further, some degree of obedience and humility seem to be (normally)
necessary on the woman's part."

Of course, your mileage may vary! But Ransom was obviously reading this
essay just before delivering his little lecture to the tragi-comic Jane in
Chapter 7 of *That Hideous Strength*.

Charlie