Carnegie medals

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue Jun 15 18:04:46 EDT 2004

Jennifer:

>Has anyone read any of the shortlisted YA books? I've read The Dog
>in the Night-Time but not the others- I may pick them up if I see
>them in the library, but are they worth actively seeking out?
>
>David Almond, Fire Eaters
>Jennifer Donelly, A Gathering Light
>Mark Haddon, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
>Elizabeth Laird, The Garbage King
>Mivhael Morpurgo, Private Peaceful
>Linda Newbery, Sisterland

Like you, I've only read The Curious Incident, but the girls have
each read one of the books.  Becca read Fire Eaters, and found it
quite disappointing - she's a big DA fan, but didn't think this was
up to the level of the others.  And Cara's read The Garbage King and
thought it was really very good - I think it was the third book by
Laird she's read recently, and she's told me I have to read them too.

Hallie.