OT Amos Oz & translation

Abe Gross argross at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jun 15 09:01:55 EDT 2004

I found this transcript (on the site of Radio National, an Australian radio
station) of an interview of Israeli writer Amos Oz in 2003, in which he
speaks, among other things, about translating books from one language to
another. It's not totally off-topic--at various times we've had discussions
on the list about different ways to say things in different languages, and
Gili has offered examples of the issues of translating books--often DWJ
novels--from English to Hebrew. I found this article tremendously
interesting. There *is* general a discussion of politics on it, but the
stuff about language and translation was what I found most interesting.

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/arts/bwriting/stories/s748702.htm

Ros