Tanith Lee (was:desert island question)

Belben, Philip ( Generation ) Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk
Wed Jun 9 11:54:29 EDT 2004

>>AFAIK the first novel she wrote, though she didn't
>>publish it until relatively recently, was "Eva Fairdeath".  I find it
>>hard to believe that even TL could write Eva, and then produce Dragon
>>Hoard as her next book, but I suppose it's possible.
>
> *The Dragon Hoard* was published in 1968.
> *Eva Fairdeath* was published in 1994.
>
> I find it hard to credit that she didn't do any re-writing of the
latter
> book before she let the publishers have it, if she had it sitting in
the
> bottom drawer of her desk all that time.

Er, no-one is asking you to believe that.  In fact your point makes it
more of an achievement to have developed as far as Dragon Hoard, doesn't
it?  OK, so Eva was a teenage effort, and people do develop rapidly at
that age...

>> Drinking Sapphire Wine [*]
>
>>[*] ISTR this was published in two volumes in the US, but a single
>>volume over here.  In the US Drinking Sapphire Wine was the title of
the
>>second volume, and the whole novel is now called something like
"Biting
>>the Sun"
>
> The first volume was published in 1976 in the US as *Don't Bite the
Sun*,
> the second in 1977 in the US as *Drinking Sapphire Wine*.  They were
put
> together as *Drinking Sapphire Wine* in 1979 and published together
under
> that title in the UK; what the two-book volume is called in the US I
> wouldn't know but I expect someone there could tell us.

I just checked.  It is indeed "Biting the Sun".  So I'm not sure what
all your fuss is about, Minnow.  (You didn't think I was confusing it
with "Don't Bite the Sun", did you?  Shame!)

> ob DWJ, regarding TL....
>
> Stoat!

Eh?

Philip.

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore the Powergen Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the contents. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Powergen Group.

Registered addresses:

Powergen UK plc, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Powergen Retail Limited, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England and Wales No: 3407430

Telephone     +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax                +44 (0) 2476 42 5432