Tanith Lee (was:desert island question)

Belben, Philip ( Generation ) Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk
Wed Jun 9 09:32:40 EDT 2004

>>> More in the sense of knowing subversions of classic fairy tales
>>
>> Well, hey, if we're going to play *that* game, fire up the wayback
>> machine and go hunting Tanith Lee's The Dragon Horde.
>>
>> I think it was her first, and it is deffinitely a *childrens'* book!
>
> And it's better than most everything she's written since...

I'll agree with that, though I fancy you mean "Hoard" not "Horde"  (I
was thinking just the other day that "The Dragon Horde" would be a good
title for a book!)

But her first?  AFAIK the first novel she wrote, though she didn't
publish it until relatively recently, was "Eva Fairdeath".  I find it
hard to believe that even TL could write Eva, and then produce Dragon
Hoard as her next book, but I suppose it's possible.

My relationship with TL's books is a strange one.  I don't much like
most of what I've read, but she has more books in my all-time favourites
shortlist than DWJ!  (DWJ wins the all-time favourites long list by a
long way, of course)  I'd recommend:  The Silver Metal Lover; Drinking
Sapphire Wine [*]; When the Lights Go Out.

[*] ISTR this was published in two volumes in the US, but a single
volume over here.  In the US Drinking Sapphire Wine was the title of the
second volume, and the whole novel is now called something like "Biting
the Sun"

Philip.

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore the Powergen Group does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the contents. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Powergen Group.

Registered addresses:

Powergen UK plc, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Powergen Retail Limited, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England and Wales No: 3407430

Telephone     +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax                +44 (0) 2476 42 5432