Lenina

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Sat Jul 31 00:36:23 EDT 2004

The odd thing about all this discussion of what the cwidder did or
didn't force Lenina to do is, I think, that we're letting Lenina off the
hook for some atrocious behaviour to her living children.  One thing
about DWJ -- she never lets anybody plead special circumstances as an
excuse for being rotten.  I think of Blade, of Gair, of Charles.  Of
Moril!  Even if the cwidder compelled her to act out of character while
she was under its spell, that doesn't excuse her behaviour when Clennen
is dead.  It explains it, I think, and makes it forgiveable; her sons
do, in fact, forgive her.  But casting her too much in the victim mode
isn't fair, either.

I've always loved how nobody's allowed to get away with whining in a DWJ
novel.

-deborah
--
"I don't want to know what the structuralists think!  I want to
know what you think!"  -- Archer's Goon, Diana Wynne Jones