Dalemark Quartet

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jul 28 21:40:13 EDT 2004

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> As soon as he dies, the magic he worked on her in the Lord's hall,
> using the cwidder to compel her to abandon her previous life and her
> betrothed love Ganner and go off to be a raggle-taggle-gypsy-o with
> him, is finished, and she is able to go back to her own people and
> place, and the man she originally wanted to marry, was how I read
> it.

Yes and no.

It's obvious enough that the cwidder's magic caused Lenina to run off
and marry Clennan, but I don't think it did much more than that.
(What's the longest we see the cwidder continuing to exert an
influence after the player stops playing it?) I think that when Lenina
said that she'd stayed with her husband because it was her duty to do
so, that was for the most part no more or less than the truth;
Dalemark seems to me the kind of place that would teach its womenfolk
"My husband, right or wrong."

Which, mind you, doesn't mean that Clennan's death didn't free Lenina
from a compulsion, just that it wasn't a magical one. And it still
wasn't nice of him to gloat like that.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."