OT: Ika's Cuaron quote

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jul 16 12:29:04 EDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Ika wrote:

["He's your favorite gay uncle that does smack"]

> > What I found interesting, while I was tracking it down, was the
> > number of people who thought (or - bearing in mind that many of
> > them were 'shippers of various stripes - chose to appear to think)
> > that Cuaron meant it literally.
>
> Oh, I do. I mean, not about the smack, but I liked the quote because
> it's *always* nice to have someone associated with the 'official'
> product recognize that there are gay characters in the Potterverse.

Yes, like that.

You've highlighted another interesting aspect of the phenomenon: the
tendency to hail Cuaron's "recognition" of Remus' supposed
homosexuality, while ignoring or discounting the bit about doing
smack. You can't have it both ways: if Cuaron is saying that he thinks
Remus is actually gay, then he is also saying that he thinks Remus
actually does smack - and, for that matter, that Remus actually is
Harry's uncle.

It seems clear to me that he's only making an analogy: being a
werewolf has a similar effect on one's interpersonal relationships as
being a gay heroin addict, and being an avuncular werewolf has a
similar effect on one's interpersonal relationships as being a gay
heroin-addicted uncle. Cuaron's remark doesn't say anything at all
about whether he thinks Remus actually is gay, heroin-addicted, or an
uncle.

(I also, by the way, read Cuaron as proposing the analogy as a tool
for understanding and acting out Remus' interpersonal relationships,
not as suggesting that the analogy has any real presence in the story,
intended or otherwise.)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."