OT: Ika's Cuaron quote

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Jul 15 07:32:01 EDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Ika wrote:

> Me/Aimee/Paul:

> > What I found interesting, while I was tracking it down, was the number
> > of people who thought (or - bearing in mind that many of them were
> > 'shippers of various stripes - chose to appear to think) that Cuaron
> > meant it literally.
>
> Oh, I do. I mean, not about the smack, but I liked the quote because it's
> *always* nice to have someone associated with the 'official' product
> recognize that there are gay characters in the Potterverse. (I don't know
> if JKR's noticed, of course.)

Well, Lupin's "why I'm leaving" speech at the end, with phrases like
"people like me" and how the parents would be upset was *so* completely
"I'm gay and they wouldn't like it." Although it works quite well as a
euphemism as well as a literal truth--being a werewolf includes both
things that are fine and part of him and you shouldn't judge him for it,
and things that are dangerous and bad for him and others around him and,
yeah, large numbers of unaware kids probably shouldn't be in close
proximity. Not that he could be accused of leading the poor innocent
things into werewolfism. ;^)