Imagine - Unsuitable for Children

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jul 14 22:19:08 EDT 2004

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Ika wrote:

[leaving out lots of stuff I can't add to]

> Or Homeward Bounders seems to me to be about the death of God as
> much as the Northern Lights trilogy is - but they don't *feel* the
> same, and I'm interested in what the difference is. Is it just the
> hype surrounding Northern Lights that makes it feel more
> 'obviously', more 'directly' about the death of God?

There's at least one sense in which the Northern Lights trilogy *is*
more obviously and directly about what it's about. 'Homeward Bounders'
has these manipulative beings playing god, and implies by omission
that there aren't any genuine gods, but it doesn't address any
religion specifically. Pullman, on the other hand, singles out one
particular religion; his manipulative being is not just playing god,
but playing one specific God.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."