short stories

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Jul 9 07:36:37 EDT 2004

Meredith:

>This is getting bizarre! The one I have sounds like your red dragon with the
>standing stones, but it's the 1995 UK paperback.

I've now decided that this was all a plot on the part of Kingfisher,
designed to be maximally confusing!  The UK '95 pb and the US '94 pb
seem to have an identical cover picture, though the title is done
differently.  This is what caused me to believe that the copy I'd
given away (to Philip, it turns out) had been identical to the copy
I'd kept.

I'm not convinced that Amazon has all the info exactly correct, as
they don't show the hardcover at all.  Also both Amazon sites only
show information referring to the 18 short stories/extracts, though
there are 19 with the Land of Green Ginger extract.

And, just because I know everyone is *dying* to hear every last
wrinkle of this, I suppose it might not be surprising that there were
problems getting permission to print the extract.  I dug out our copy
of LoGG and it says:

First published as The Tale of the Land of Green Ginger by Arthur Barker, 1937
A rewritten version published in Puffin Books 1966
Reprinted 1970, 1972
This version published in Puffin Books 1975
This version copyright Noel Langley, 1975.

Wonder if Barker did the rewriting for the 1966 version?  I'd so love
to see the 1937 book!

Hallie.