OT - a non-dairy recipe for DWJ

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Tue Jul 6 16:19:27 EDT 2004

I got this off of the Ansteorra Cooks' List, and remembering Minnow's
comments about DWJ and dairy, thought that I'd pass it along.

From: "a5foil" <a5foil at ix.netcom.com>
Subject: [Sca-cooks] OOP -- Vegan chocolate truffles
To: "Cooks List" <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>

Here is my new non-dairy truffle recipe. I've specified brands because I
know they work and are dairy-free, but equivalents should work just as well.

6 oz. Ghirardelli bittersweet baking bar (1 1/2 bars) -- chopped fine
1/4 cup plain Silk soy creamer
2 tablespoons your choice of liquor or liqueur
1 tablespoon Earth Balance soy spread (equivalent of soft margarine, a
little bit salty)
1 tablespoon powdered sugar -- packed not sifted (optional)
good quality unsweetened cocoa powder

Bring water to a boil in bottom of double boiler while preparing
ingredients. Place chocolate, creamer, liquor and margarine in top of double
boiler. Remove bottom of boiler from heat, place top on bottom, and allow to
stand for 2 minutes. Stir chocolate mixture until smooth. Taste and add
sugar if desired. Chill until firm, stirring occasionally to keep the
mixture smooth. Form into small balls and roll in cocoa. Makes 16
(2-teaspoon) truffles.

If you're using a liquor like scotch (12 year old MacAllan aged in sherry,
to be precise) the sugar actually brings out the liquor flavor.

Cynara

Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com
devra at aol.com