"Imagine -- Unsuitable for Children"

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Sun Jul 4 02:06:09 EDT 2004

Ika wrote:
>>Drug-taking - okay, can't think of a single example there...

I've also been giving this some thought. I can't think of any clear examples
either, but characters like Tacroy sometimes act like drug addicts. (minor
spoilers possible for "The Lives of Christopher Chant")  With Tacroy, it's
the combination of not being master of his own fate, living a double life
and letting his shadier underlife undermine the life he's more committed to,
his spirit journeys sending him into an opium-like stupor... the difference,
of course, is that Tacroy was born into the situation, as opposed to being
bound into it slowly by a growing addiction. So drugs themselves perhaps
aren't an issue, but the sort of harm that drugs do to your relationships
and your personality and your cognitive abilities is an issue in several of
DWJ's books. Some more examples might be Tom in F&H, the Duke in MoC,
Mordion... can't think of others off the bat, but basically any character
who is a slave to someone or something external.

Gili